Friday, June 08, 2007

AT900P/AT900T/AT800OFF/AT800DEF

Yonex Armortec Reviews

AT900 P (4U):
This racket has a very powerful smash but only when the shuttle hits the sweet-spot correctly, which incidentally I found to be quite small in size compared to other Yonex rackets. The shaft is noticeably stiffer than the other Armortec models and I also found it moved slower through the air than the other Armortec rackets. It was also quite difficult to control despite the power being there if used properly. Head-heavy balance but not overly so. Long handle – mainly for doubles play – personally not a fan of a long handle.

Overall Ratings: (1-10)
Power: 10
Control: 7
Maneuverability: 6
Defence: 7
Weight: Feels relatively light despite its head-heavy balance.

AT900T (4U):
This racket is very fast with a good smash. However, I found it to be the most head-heavy of all the Yonex rackets, probably due to the Elastic Ti being loaded into the top of the head. Due to this I found it to be a little cumbersome to control and move (seemingly the opposite of what Yonex markets the racket as). Defence was very good though due to the fast racket speed. Again – long handle, and for me this is a waste of a good long shaft!

Overall Ratings:
Power: 9
Control: 6
Maneuverability: 6
Defence: 9
Weight: Feels quite heavy due to its extreme head-heaviness, despite its light frame.

AT800 OF (4U):
The most noticeable thing about this racket is the shaft stiffness – phew! ULTRA stiff in my opinion. Smashing with this racket is very good but it’s not very manoeuvrable. Defence is rather difficult although driving and clearing are easy. This is probably the ultimate attacking racket, sacrificing control in the process. Again – the long handle.

Overall Ratings:
Power: 10
Control: 6
Maneuverability: 5
Defence: 5
Weight: Feels light but not too whippy due to the ultra stiff shaft.


AT800 DF (4U):
This racket is very manoeuvrable and also packs a great deal of power due to its aerodynamic frame. The shaft is relatively flexible for an Armortec and its defence was good. Again though I though the control of this racket could have been better. The long handle really annoyed me with this racket as I felt that if the shaft had been made longer, it could have been even more powerful! Good racket though all the same.

Overall Ratings:
Power: 9
Control: 7
Maneuverability: 9
Defence: 9
Weight: Feels light and actually quite even balanced, even though it is head-heavy.


AT700 4U):
In my opinion this is the best racket I have played with. For me it has the perfect balance of control, power and manoeuvrability. Its smashing power is immense and control is great too. I find it very easy to defend with, despite its head-heavy balance and how other people have said it’s difficult to move. It has a long shaft and short handle – designed more the singles player – but for an attacking doubles player this is also a great combination.

Overall Ratings:
Power: 10
Control: 9
Maneuverability: 8
Defence: 8
Weight: Feels noticeably head-heavy but relatively light overall.

No comments: